Adult Acne has been my enemy for years.
I was looking for help in the wrong places and going to the wrong doctors, but eventually I found a good dermatologist not far away from my parents.
After an unsuccessful test period of a milder acne treatment my dermatologist told me I should definitely take Acutane.
It’s been now 2 months I’m taking this medicine and I thought I’d share with you my experience so far.
My acne form: Mild, yet persistent. Daily zits but not like I have an entire face covered. Always around chin area.
My skin now: Everything has cleared up, even the red marks that I always used to have left after the break outs. Sometimes I can still get a little bit of break out but apparently it’s normal in the beginning of the Actuane treatment.
Positive effects: No pimples (of course) and your body produce less oil making your hair zero greesy! It’s amazing to never need to wash your hair (well at some point you do of course 😉
Sid effects: Yes! But worth it! This is what I’ve got so far *touch wood*
– Extremely dry lips, can’t leave the room without my lip balm!
– Dry skin, especially face. My forehead is so dry I’ve actually got new wrinkles! 🙁
– Nails are weak and constantly chipping. No point of wearing nail polish, only shellac would do.
– Itchiness, especially in my scalp. But this comes in periods and I haven’t had it for a while now.
– Strange rashes/eczema. I’ve had some weird stuff going on on my hands, but it went after a while.
– Muscle pain. Working out hard is actually not recommended on this medicine because muscles are very sensitive which is the reason why I’m in so much pain right now.
– Sensitivity to alcohol – terrible hangovers!
I know it might look like a lot, but it’s actually “ok”. And again, it’s so worth it!
I’m doing a 6 months treatment that will hopefully eliminate the acne for ever, so 4 months left – no biggy!
This is actually another reason why I decided to move to my parents, because I would be close to my dermatologist and I felt while doing this treatment I want to lay low.
However you can live a normal life, it’s just sometimes things might feel a little bit uncomfortable. Then again, not everyone gets the side effects I got. Some people suffer less, some suffer more – some might have a completely different experience.
No matter what, I really recommend Acutane to everyone with adult acne who can’t get rid of it!
Don’t think it’s for people with extreme acne only, it’s not true! If you can handle the side effects, then do it!